Usually, at this time in March, the Greenport Historical Society is beginning its new year of monthly evening programs and activities. While we have reason to be optimistic about the vaccination program, we, like most organizations, are still “on pause”. Nancy Guarino, our Program Chair, has been in touch with our anticipated speakers again, and we have asked that they reserve a date for us next year if possible. The Town Hall and Community Center remain closed to gatherings and we all would like to be responsible and safe. The Society’s officers and board have agreed to continue their service for another year to assure continuity. Our financial situation is stable, with few expenditures.
We do have some good news to share. The Columbia County Historical Society has awarded us some monies for the purchase of archival supplies for our collection storage. I would like to thank Carol Biernacki for her very quick assembly of the supporting material for the grant application. When we are able to work on the collection again, it will be great to have the new acid-free storage materials.
It may be worth mentioning that a number of the local libraries have been putting together zoom lectures and programs, as well as podcasts, on subjects that may be of interest to those with a love of history. Checking their websites may yield something for you to enjoy.
Jo von Bieberstein
We had moved our 2020 programs to the 2021 calendar as below – all scheduled on Thursdays – but as of March 2021 they are again postponed. We will post them as soon as we have visibility to safe reopening, and hope we will be able to see you then. Thank you!
- postponed March 18 – Beyond the Farmyard: The Development of Oakdale Park (with Paul Barrett)
- postponed April 15 – The Delanos at Home and in China (with Shannon Butler)
- postponed May 20 – The Woods Road Estates (with Conrad Hanson)
- postponed June 17 – Tales of the Titanic (with Don Fraser)
- postponed July 15 – Lighthouses of the Hudson (with Sarah Wassberg Johnson)
- postponed August 19 – annual picnic
- postponed September 16 – John Burroughs of The Catskills (with Dr. Bill Birns)
- postponed October 21 – Ghent: a Community’s 200-Year Evolution (with Gregg Berninger)
- postponed November 18 – Holiday Luncheon